The Internet has many excellent resources; You can get information about anything under the sun with just the click of a few buttons. The possibilities of the Internet are limitless, and the benefits cannot be appreciated. However, the opposite of this is the proliferation of bad and unwanted content.
Two good things you can achieve by blocking websites on Chrome are protected from unsafe and malicious content, and more effective by blocking all kinds of distractions.
If you have children using computers, you may want to block certain websites to protect them. To prevent them from viewing objectionable content, you can block websites on Chrome.
Several websites are known to contain malicious software. To avoid accidentally opening those websites, one solution is to block them from Chrome permanently.
The internet can be a huge distraction when you’re trying to get jobs and drastically reduce productivity. Social media is a great addition, known for cutting productivity. You can temporarily block websites like Facebook, Twitter, and Snapchat from Chrome to keep you focused on work.
6 Ways to Block websites on Chrome
There are several methods you can use to block unnecessary content on the Google Chrome browser.
Method 1: Use Chrome extensions
You can block websites on Chrome easily with Chrome extensions. These extensions are free to install, and there are several extensions available online that can be used to temporarily or permanently block certain websites on the Chrome browser.
1. Block website
Install the Block Site extension from the Chrome Web Store to block unwanted content on Chrome. This add-on allows you to block websites by adding to the blacklist, blocking sites with unwanted words, and even setting a time and date to block certain websites. Site blocking also works in incognito mode.
Just right-click anywhere on the website you want to block and add to the blacklist. It has a predefined set of adult words that will block web pages with these words in the URL. To prevent extensions from being uninstalled, you can protect them with a password.
2. TinyFilter PRO
This extension is a comprehensive website blocker for Chrome.
Tiny Filter from Chrome Web Store to block pornography, malware, and spyware from Internet users.
It is highly customizable, and you can personalize your filtering preferences and block all inappropriate content. You can add any blocked website, add custom filter keywords, and temporarily allow the site if needed.
This extension can be used to block social media and spam websites. You can set a password to protect it from being uninstalled.
StayFocusd is a productivity extension that blocks websites where you usually waste time instead of focusing on work. It is highly customizable, and you can block as many websites as you want for as long as you want.
You can also allow time of day when accessing blocked websites is permitted. While this is not an extension to permanently block websites on Chrome, it is a useful tool to ward off social media temptation and other distractions.
4. Blocksi Web Filter:
This nifty extension from Chrome is excellent for web filtering, filtering, and blocking adult sites on YouTube. It has a web filtering option from which you can block content across 79 categories like pornography, adult content, security, malware, and more.
You can set safe search parameters to protect children from viewing inappropriate content. Use Blocksi Web Filter to block websites on Chrome browser.
Method 2: Use parental control software
Parental control software or software filters can be used to block websites from your Chrome browser. This software allows you to block certain websites on Chrome and keep your kids safe from adult content. They are highly customizable and can be customized according to your browsing preferences.
1. Net Nanny:
Net Nanny is the oldest and perhaps best parental control software available today. It has been actively developed for the past 18 years, and they have kept up with the times and added new features with each new release. It just doesn’t protect your computer but also gives parental controls over your kid’s smartphone.
With this software, you can block pornography, add filters, hide masks, monitor social media activities, and much more.
You can add websites that you want to block to the blacklist and keep unwanted content. You can download NetNanny from the link given above.
Watch Net Nanny’s features in this video:
Method 3: Block websites on Router
You can block websites on the Chrome browser by reconfiguring your router settings. This will affect all computers on your network. Please backup your router’s initial settings before moving forward with this method.
1. Connect to your router by typing the default address on your browser window. The default address is different for different routers but is usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.01. If you are not sure of the default address, check with your service provider.
2. Depending on the router you use, look for the URL filter, Parental Controls, or Firewall in the settings under the Security, Parental Control, or Firewall tab.
3. URL filter allows you to add URLs for each website you want to block. Parental Controls section will enable you to block websites on Chrome and specify when to access the Internet. Firewall Settings also allows you to block websites by entering URLs. Most routers will have one of these features in Settings.
4) Follow the instructions and restart the router for the changes to take effect.
Method 4: Add restricted sites on Chrome
This is a straightforward way to block any website on Chrome. You don’t need software or extensions for this method. The downside is that it is not password-protected, and anyone can change the settings to reverse it.
Here’s the step-by-step process:
1. Go to the Google Chrome settings menu and scroll down to Advanced settings
2. In System, click Open proxy settings
3. Open the Security tab and select Restricted Sites. Click Sites
4. In the dialog box that opens, type in the URLs of all the websites you want to block and click Add.
5. To remove, select the URL and click Remove.
Method 5: create a supervised account on Chrome
Chrome browser allows you to create supervised accounts for guests or children who want to use your computer. When the child accesses the Internet after logging in via a supervised browser, you can control the websites they visit and block the websites you don’t want them to see.
You get reports of all online activity on the supervised account, so you know what your kids are doing online as a parent. Supervised users cannot add extensions or install web apps, and their search results are filtered for pornography. Here’s how you create a supervised account on the Chrome browser:
1. Open Chrome settings, and under People, click Manage others. Click Add people
2. Enter a name and check the box for the Supervisor of this Person to.
III. Click Save and you’re done.
4. To configure your account, go to ab People in Chrome settings.
5. Click Manage supervised users; click the name of the supervised user.
6. Click on manage users to add URLs to block and enable the safe search.
Method 6: Block websites by editing Windows Host files
Windows host file can be edited to block websites on your Chrome browser. This method will block websites on that particular computer only from all browsers. You can use this method to learn how to block a website on Windows 7 and up.
1. Click Start on your Windows computer and type ” C: Windows system32 drivers etc.” in the search field.
2. Right-click on Hosts and open with Notepad
3. At the bottom of the document, enter the following URL: 127.0.0.1 and a space after the URL of the website you want to block in Chrome. So if you’re going to block Facebook, you’ll have to type: 127.0.0.1 facebook.com. Remember not to use www or HTTPS in front of the URL. Don’t put in a # before code, either.
4. You can add as many URLs as you want. Make sure each URL is added to its line on the document. Save the document and close.
5. Restart your computer, and you will notice that these banned websites are no longer accessible in the browser.
These are some of the options to block websites on Chrome permanently or temporarily.
These solutions will come in handy when you need to keep the internet safe for kids, your computer away from malware, or have a better grasp of your productivity.