Are you trying to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 on your system, and you get the following error: “Your PC needs to restart. Hold down the power button. Error code: 0x0000005D “? This error occurs when you are trying to run or install a version of windows that is not supported by the system’s processor. To install Windows 10 on your computer, the processor must support Physical Address Extensions (PAE), NX, and SSE2. Most systems support these features, so if this error occurs, it is possible because the NX feature (“No eXecute”) is not enabled on the system. This feature can be found as XD (“eXecute Disabled”) in the BIOS settings.
How to fix code error: 0x0000005D to install Windows 10 in VirtualBox
It would help if you restarted your computer;
After reboot, you need to press the F2 key from your keyboard to access BIOS;
Note: The key to access BIOS may vary, depending on the motherboard installed in your system. Pay attention to the first screen that appears after the reboot and look for the message indicating which key needs to be pressed to access the BIOS (for example, F1, F2, F3, Esc, or Delete keys). You can check how to access the BIOS in your computer’s documentation.
- In the BIOS section, select the “Advanced” feature;
- Select the part “CPU Configuration”;
- Check the option “No-Execute Memory Protection” and click on it;
- Change this feature to “Enabled” (by default, it is disabled);
- Reboot your system and start the Windows 10 installation in Virtualbox as usual;
Check your settings in Virtualbox, like the ones shown below:
- In the tab “System”, navigate to the menu “Motherboard” and do the following locations:
- You need to set “Base memory” to 4096 MB.
- In the “Boot order” section, you need to check the boxes next to the “CD / DVD” and “Hard Disk” features;
- Set “Chipset” to PIIX3;
- Set the “Pointing device” feature to PS / 2 Mouse;
- In the “Extended features” section, you need to check the box next to the “Enable I / O APIC” feature;
- In the “Display” tab, make the following settings:
- You need to install “Video” memory to 256 MB;
- You need to set the “Monitor count” to 1;
- In the “Extended features” section, check the boxes next to “Enable 3D Acceleration” and “Enable 2D Video Acceleration”;
- In the “System” tab, navigate to the “Acceleration” menu, and do the following:
- In the “Hardware virtualization” section, check the boxes next to the “Enable VT-x / AMD-V” and “Enable Nested Paging” features;
- In the “System” tab, navigate to the “Processor” menu, and do the following settings:
- You need to set “Processor (s)” for the 4 CPUs (or the number of CPUs integrated into your system);
- You need to select “Execution Cap” at 100%;
- In the “Extended features” section, check the box next to the “PAE / NX” feature.
If all these settings are correct, you should be able to fix error code 0x0000005D and install Windows 10 in Virtualbox. Feel free to leave a comment below.