In both cases, you will receive the following error message:
“The following failure occurred while trying to use the product key:
Description: The Software Licensing Service determined that this specified product key can only be used for upgrading, not for clean installs. ”
In this guide, you will find instructions on how to resolve the 0xC004F061 activation error while trying to activate Windows 10, 8, 7, or Vista.
How to fix Windows activation error 0xC004F061.
To resolve the Windows activation code 0xC004F061, try one of the following:
1. Make sure that the Time, Time / Date / Month / Year settings are correct.
2. Activate Windows using an automated phone system. To do that:
a. Open Windows Explorer.
b. Then right-click on “Computer” (My PC) and choose Properties.
c. Click ” Click here to activate Windows”.
d. Click on “Show me other ways to Activate“.
e. Click on “ Use the automated phone system ” and then follow the instructions to activate Windows.
3. Use the new product key to activate your copy of Windows.
4. If you are using an upgrade key to activate Windows, you must:
A. Perform a clean install of a previous version of Windows (e.g. “Windows 7”). Do not type in the product key when asked.
B. After installation, upgrade to the version in which you upgraded the main product (e.g. Windows 8).
C. After the upgrade, use the upgrade key to activate your copy of Windows.
5. Trick Windows into thinking that installing Windows is an upgrade. To do that:
Step 1. Modify the “MediaBootInstall” key in the registry.
1. Open Windows Registry Editor. To do that:
- Press the “ Windows “ key
+ “ R ” to load the Run dialog box.
- Type “ regedit ” and press Enter
IMPORTANT: Before you continue modifying the registry, back up the registry first. To make a backup of the registry:
a) From the main menu, go to File and select Export.
b. Specify a destination location (e.g., your computer ), give a file name (e.g., ” RegistryBackup “), and click Save.
2. Inside the Windows Registry, navigate (from the left pane) to this key:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion / Setup / OOBE
3. In the right window, change the value MediaBootInstall to 0 (Zero) and click OK . *
* Information: If the value MediaBootInstall = 1, it means that Windows was installed via ISO / DVD. If MediaBootInstall = 0, then Windows is an upgrade.
4. Close Registry Editor and continue to the next step.
Step 2. Reset the activation timer.
1. Open a command prompt with Administrator rights. To do that:
In Windows 7 & Vista, go to:
- Start > All Programs > Accessories
- Right-click on the entry “ Command prompt ” and select “ Run as administrator “.
In Windows 10, 8 & 8.1 :
- Right-click at the bottom left corner screen ( Start menu), and from the pop-up menu, select “ Command Prompt (Admin) ”.
2. In the command prompt, type the following command and press Enter :
3. Restart your computer.
4. After restarting, activate Windows. The error 0xC004F061 should be gone!
You are done! Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comments on your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.
Suppose you want to stay continuously protected from current and future malware threats. In that case, we recommend you to install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO by clicking below. We earn some commission from sales generated from this link but at no extra cost to you. We have experience with this software, and we recommend it because it is useful and useful).