When you get excited about upgrading your version of Windows for a brand new operating system experience and promising features offered by the latest versions, you may encounter a number of bugs and pivots. Malfunction will stop you from working. However, in this post we will talk specifically abouterror code x 80070002which sometimes prevents people from moving forward with their updates on Windows.
Let’s talk about this error code first and see why it happened. Cause of the error – errorx80070002 or x 80070003occurs because a file is corrupted or is missing on Windows after updating.
Error x80070002, how to fix error on Windows 10?
Error x80070002 can be problematic and prevent you from installing the latest updates. Talking about this error, here are some of the same issues reported by the user:
- Error 0x80070002 Windows 10, Windows 7 – This error can appear on almost any version of Windows, and if you encounter it, you should be able to fix the problem using one of our solutions.
- Windows Update service not running – This message is frequently related to this error, but you can fix this problem simply by enabling the Windows Update service on your own.
- Installation failed with error 0x80070002 – Sometimes you might get this error message on your screen. If that happens, reset Windows Update components and check if that helps.
Solution 1 – Reset Windows Update components
According to users, the x80070002 error may appear while trying to install the update. This issue can occur due to a problem with Windows Update and to fix the problem you should reset Windows Update components.
You can do this manually, but this can be a tedious job, so it’s better to use the command line for such a task. To do that, follow these steps:
- PressWindows Key + X to open the Win + X Menu . Choose Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) from the list.
- When the Command Prompt starts, run the following commands:net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
Ren C: Windows SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C: Windows System32 catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
After running these commands, check to see if the issue is resolved.
Solution 2 – rename the CBS.Log file
Sometimes the x80070002 error can appear because of the CBS.Log file on your PC. The file may be corrupt, and the best way to deal with it is to rename it. This is quite simple to do and you can do it by following these steps:
- PressWindows key + R and type % systemroot% Logs CBS . Now press Enter or press OK .
- Locate the CBS.Log file and rename it to anything else.
After renaming the file check to see if the issue is resolved.
Some users reported that they were unable to rename this file. If this is the case, you will need to manually stop some services first. To do that, just follow these steps:
- PressWindows Key + R and type services.msc . Press Enter or click OK
- When the Services window opens, locate the Windows Modules Installer service and double-click it.
- Set the Startup type to Manual and press Apply and OK to save changes.
- After your PC reboots, you can rename theCBS.Logfile.
- Back to theServices window and set the Startup Type to Automatic Windows Modules Installerand restart your PC.
Solution 3 – Download the update manually
The x80070002 error usually occurs when trying to download the Windows 10 update. This can happen due to various problems and if you can’t fix the problem you can always download the update manually .
Before you do that, you need to find your update number. You can do that from the Windows Update section. The update code will have the KB at the beginning, followed by the sequence number.
Once you find the update number, you need to do the following:
- Go to theMicrosoft Update Catalog website.
- In the search box, enter the code of your update.
- A list of relevant updates will appear. Select the update appropriate for your architecture and click theDownloadbuttonnext to it.
- After you download the update, run the setup file to install it on your PC.
Keep in mind that this solution will install the missing update, but it might not fix the core issue, so you’ll have to do it manually.
Solution 4 – Check your antivirus software
Another common cause for the x80070002 error could be your antivirus software. Sometimes anti-virus software can affect your system and this can cause this error and other errors to appear.
To fix the problem, it’s a good idea to turn off certain antivirus features and check if that helps. If that doesn’t work, you may have to turn off your antivirus completely.
In case of no activity, your next step is to remove your antivirus software. If removing the anti-virus software solves the problem, you should consider switching to another antivirus solution. There are many great antivirus apps on the market, and if you want an anti-virus software that won’t interfere with your system while still providing maximum protection, you should consider Bitdefender.