Fix: MTP not connecting error on Window 10
This problem appeared with Windows 10, and Microsoft was fully aware of it. There was even a Windows Update that fixed it. It’s a problem with Windows, not your phone, and it’s easy to solve.
Method 1: Download and install the Media Feature Pack
This update is primarily for the N or KN editions of Windows 10, available to everyone but does not offer Media Player or some end-user related technologies. The update you are looking for is KB3010081, and you can download it here from the Microsoft website. When you do, please install it using the .exe file and reboot your device in the end.
Method 2: Install wpdmtp.inf from Windows folder
You may receive an additional error message stating that the service settings in this INF are invalid, indicating an error with the .inf file. Having a file related to MTP and installing it can often solve this problem.
- Hold Windows Key and Press R. Type % systemroot% INF.
- Inside that folder, find wpdmtp.inf. You can use the search bar in the upper right corner to help you.
- When you find it, right-click on it and choose install from the menu. It will be faster, and you will connect your device to your PC later, without any problems.
Method 3: Install wpdmtp.inf from Device Manager
You can also install files from Device Manager because the device you are trying to connect to will appear on Mobile devices with a yellow exclamation mark.
- Simultaneously press Windows + R on the keyboard, the Run window opens, type devmgmt.msc. This will open Device Manager.
- Expand Mobile Devices in the list of devices connected to your computer and find your device.
NOTE: For some users, it might appear under Other Devices, so if you can’t find it in Mobile, it’s also worth checking out.
- Right-click on it and select Update Driver Software.
- Select Browse my computer for driver software.
- Click the Browse button and navigate to % systemroot% INF, and select the inf file.
- Follow the instructions of the wizard, and you will have the installation files in no time.
Method 4: Install the MTP USB device driver
- Follow steps 1 through 4 from the previous method.
- Instead of Browse, click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- From the options, select MTP USB Device, and follow the wizard to install it.
Any one of the above methods will help you to solve this problem. Problems are known and easy to solve, and nothing stops you from doing them and taking care of your MTP problem.