You will know if a Malware is on your hard drive just by looking at the properties of each file and the file has the properties of + s + h + r
Attrib function is to install and remove file attributes ( read only, store, system and hide ).
To start allocating
- Press the Windows + R key combination to open the Run dialog box
- Type cmd (cmd is command prompt)
- Press the Enter key
The Command Prompt will appear giving us our location in the directory.
2. Type attrib and press the Enter key
In this example, I have two files that are considered malware.
Note that there are two files I outlined in red ( SilentSoftech.exe and autorun.inf ). Since you cannot see this file nor delete it (because the attributes already set on these files are + s + h + r )
- + s – means it’s a file system (also means you can’t delete it just using delete command)
- + h – means it’s hidden (so you can’t delete it)
- r – means a file is read-only (means you can’t delete it just by using the delete command)
Now we need to set the properties of autorun.inf to -s -h -r (let us delete it ourselves).
- Type attrib -s -h -r autorun.inf (definitely include -s -h -r since you can’t change attributes using only -s or -h or -r alone)
- Type attrib again to check if your changes were committed
- If the autorun.inf file has no other properties, you can remove it by typing del autorun.inf
- Since SilentSoftech.exe is a malware, you can remove its properties by doing step 1 and step 3 (just changing the file name) for example. attrib -s -h -r silentsoftech.exe
There you have it !!!!
NOTE: when autorun.inf resumes even though you have deleted the video, be sure to check your Task Manager by pressing CTRL + ALT + DELETE (a virus is still running as a process That’s why you can’t delete it.KILL the process first by selecting it and clicking End Process .
Note: You can also apply attrib -s -h -r command to all partitions of the computer, drive D: drive E: drive F: (all your drives). For example. for D drive, just type ” D: ” (minus the quotes) then you can see that your current drive is D .. type there command ” attrib -sh -r * .exe ” for these exe file and ” attrib -sh -r * .inf “And then delete the files by” del autorun.inf “.